Some of the measures which can be taken with very little investment for faster economic development in India are:
- Increasing the working hours of all industrial, commercial, government and other employees from around 40 hours to 48 hours a week. This will result 20% increase in production in manufacturing sector, increase in value of services etc.
- Increasing the retirement age from around 58/60 years to 65 years. This will enable each person to increase his contribution to GDP by over 15%.
- Providing opportunities to those already retired to work either from home or from factories/offices
- Introduction of more machinery in agricultural and plantation sectors which, suffers acute labour shortage. Tractors were introduced a few decades ago. Large scale introduction of harvesters, planters, weeders etc should be undertaken.
- Encouragement for handloom sector should be given up. Power loom sector should be encouraged in view of labour shortage in spinning, weaving, knitting and ready made garments sectors.