If I am in power, I will take the following steps to over come the impact of drought,
- Not only remove all restrictions on digging bore wells but will also encourage and assist people to dig bore wells. Ground water level will go down but this does not matter, as when it rains the water level will automatically come up. Government will also dig bore wells near water bodies like lakes, canals etc.
- Wherever and whenever it is possible, artificial rain(cloud seeding) will be tried.
- Water areas like wells, rivers, lakes, canals, water passages will be dredged which may lead to more ground water
- farmers will be advised to refrain from planting crops like paddy which require a lot of water and cultivate drought resistant crops like ragi
- Without any elaborate application from farmers, their lands will be provided with drip irrigation system and sprinkler irrigation system.
- Panchayat, municipal and corporation waste water will be treated and used for irrigation.
- As a long term measure, desalination plants will be established along the coast.